Sunday 16 October 2011

Tweet of the Year

I've become a bit of a tweeter.
And the trouble with tweeting is you can sometimes look like a complete twit.
At around 7.30pm on Friday night I was sitting at my work station at a national newspaper - wishing I was somewhere else.
Around 150 miles away as it happens.
At the Mem to watch Bristol Rovers play Rotherham in a League Two clash of the giants.
Well, clash of the rapidly shrinking giants if our recent records were anything to go by with both sides having failed to record a win in four successive games.
I can't even say I was quietly confident after our recent two performances - particularly the 3-1 home defeat to mighty Cheltenham a fortnight earlier.
But, still.
We had virtually a full squad to pick from and our manager, Paul Buckle, was confident.
He insisted that he no longer had to play square pegs in round holes and that he could pick exactly the team he wanted.
Logging on to twitter, I saw that the team had been announced.
And, I must admit, was particularly underwhelmed.
Not, I will hastily add, about the fact he had chosen three men across the middle of the park in the form of Stuart Campbell, Matt Gill and Craig Stanley.
But because he was playing a left back at centre half and three strikers, none of whom had any experience of playing out wide.
Unable to contain myself, I tweeted.
"Question 3 strikers & no width. Bizarre bench too. One defender and four strikers - heaven forbid we have any injuries."
RESULT: Mighty Gas 5, Yorkshire puddings 2
My next tweet? "How dare I question the tactics and formation of the great Paul Buckle *slaps wrist*"
It's got to be said that the man appears to have redeemed himself in the eyes of our rather restless bunch.
By all accounts it was a very impressive performance, though it's got to be said that one big victory doesn't guarantee a promotion run.
And, stealing the nickname given to the former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri, I think Mr Buckle is a bit of a tinkerman.
Nothing else can really explain why he has on occasion played our most dangerous goalscoring threat Scott McGleish out wide.
McGleish, returned to his favoured position up front, scored two of the five goals on Friday and must stay up front.
Still, can't grumble.
We have now reached the lofty heights of 14th and improved our goal difference, to boot.
And for once I've been able to enjoy a long weekend without having to worry about the state of my magnificent football club.
In fact, Saturday was pretty enjoyable all round: I wasn't sat, biting my nails, trying to follow the Gas on a slow time BBC feed.
I was relaxed, laidback and carefree.
A state that almost accended into Utopia when one particular football result came through: Bristol City 1 Peterborough 2.
Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment