Wednesday 3 August 2011

Buckle up!

At about the same time that the mighty Bristol Rovers will be embarking on their all-conquering League 2 campaign I will probably be staring at Jordan's boobs... or maybe Rihanna's rear end.
All good, no doubt some people are thinking, but not when you are the kind of football freak who would politely ask a naked Beyonce to move aside in order to have a quick one-to-one with our new manager Paul Buckle.
Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that in order to keep a roof over my family's head I have had to switch allegiances from sports journalism to working on the news pages of one of our national red-top newspapers.
Those who read my last blog entry will already know that I am one of the innocent victims of the News of the World massacre, in which 280 people were given the bullet because of some rather shady goings-on at that paper ten years ago, mainly actioned by those who have long since departed.
Fortunately, some very kindly journos on another London tabloid took pity on me and invited me in to help them out and now I am just hoping I can persuade the powers-that-be it is of vital importance that Sky's coverage of AFC Wimbledon v Bristol Rovers is showing in the newsroom this Saturday.
For this is the start of one of the most successful seasons in Bristol Rovers history. A season when we will equal the Invincibles of Arsene Wenger, go 46 league games unbeaten and reach the semi-finals of the two most prestigious cup competitions in the country while winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy by default because the others are too scared to play us.
And on what do I base this unbridled optimism?
Well, the enthusiasm of fellow Gasheads for starters.
They are not only overflowing with optimism on the official website's fans forum, but the many followers I have amassed on twitter are super-confident, too.
Infact, due to a clever little idea called GasFollowBack, where each gashead who "followed" another on twitter immediately got "followed" back,I am probably in contact with the majority of our fan base now.
Confusing, I know, if you aren't on Twitter and aren't privy to these 20-word spoutings of modern-day philosophy.
Back to the Gas, though, and added to this Tsunami of positivity, I have seen two highly impressive pre-season friendly performances against Championship opposition - a 2-0 victory over Burnley and a 2-1 defeat to Reading, though we were winning 1-0 at half time when we took all our star players off to give them a rest and put our reserves on in their place.
The mood at the Mem is buzzing.
I even took little Livvy, aged one year and one month, along on her pink trike to the "family funday", which attracted an attendance that would have beaten most of those for home matches last season.
She cycled in front of the DAS stand and got a bird's eye view of the Hallowe'd turf, though getting her mode of transport into the dressing rooms or into the top tier of the Uplands Stands so that I could meet the players was a bit too much to ask.
Still, they are all together buzzing, I've learned. They are highly tuned to the new manager's wavelength and are ready to batter everyone insight.
We have virtually a new backroom staff, a new team and just a few stragglers from the hell that was season 2010-2011.
The party has started... and we haven't even kicked a ball in anger.
Where can it go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment