Friday 21 January 2011

Perfect Foyle

YOU would think as a responsible adult I would know better.
But this week I persuaded my four-year-old grandson Marley to attend a below-average League One football game between Bristol Rovers and Hartlepool on a bitterly cold January night.
I did it by telling him how exciting it would be, how there would be a big crowd and that it would be much better than going to see the successful X-factor contestants JLS live with his mum and big brother.
Then when we got there I told him that he had to shout for the team in the blue and white quarters, because they were the best.
I omitted to mention the fact they hadn't won for 11 games, were currently mired in the relegation zone and there was unlikely to be a shot on target in the first half.
He's now officially a Gashead and programmed for a lifetime of misery, poor dab.
Still, he enjoyed the experience and I had pleasure in answering his myriad of questions like "Why is the ball always up the other end of the field, Grandad?"
To his credit he held on until half time, but when I offered him the chance to stay for the second half I could see the look of concern etched on his little features.
And for the first time that day I made the right call, whisking him off to the car before frostbite set in.
Of course, when I got home and turned the radio on I was not surprised but, I admit, a little bit pleased with the final outcome:
West country giants 0, Coldest place in the world who have a monkey as mayor 0
And for the first time in 17 games we had managed to stop the opposition from scoring.
I must admit I had sat through the first half thinking: Who is that bloke in the middle of our defence?
I knew it wasn't the young Irishman Cian Bolger, who was signed on loan from Leicester earlier in the day.
But he didn't resemble any of our usual defenders - mainly because he was talking to those around him, shouting instructions, winning headers and clearing his lines in a no-nonsense way.
Turned out I had missed our second signing of the day, the former MK Dons and Dundee United centre back David McCracken, brought in on a month's loan from Brentford.
Our new acquisition took the man-of-the-match award and I tip my hat to manager Dave Penney for his first real move into the transfer market.
Today, more good news - or it appears to be. Martin Foyle, the former Port Vale striker and latterly manager at Vale, Wrexham and York City, has been appointed as first-team coach. He has a vast wealth of experience and should help out Penney in our fight against relegation.
I shall pass on this info to my grandson and tell him that it won't be long now before the mighty Gas are moving up the table again.
Having talked about nothing else but the football since returning to his home in Southend, I am sure he will delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment